outer banks arrests

huntercombe hospital maidenhead

• by

Contact us Address Huntercombe Lane South Taplow Maidenhead Berkshire SL6 0PQ Get directions (opens in Google Maps) Phone 01628 667881 Online Visit Hospital website Send email to Hospital Find another hospital What patients say There are currently no reviews for The Huntercombe Hospital Maidenhead. The regular inspections carried out by the CQC since then have raised serious questions over care. contact the editor here. I started hurting myself.". Neve Smith, a 20-year-old biomedical student at Southampton University, was admitted to Kennet ward in August 2015, aged 13. You can find out more about archived services and how you can use the information on our page about searching for the history of care services. She blames the care she received for the deterioration in her condition, describing how she was restrained. Editors' Code of Practice. Words cannot express how much that means to me and my family. It was deeply painful., Neve Smith (pictured), a 20-year-old biomedical student at Southampton University, was admitted to Kennet ward in August 2015, aged 13. And police are investigating the death of a patient at the hospital as well as an allegation of a child rape involving staff. Following this inspection, we served the provider with a letter of intent under Section 31 of the Health and Social Care Act 2008, to warn them of possible urgent enforcement . We will publish a report when our review is complete. Latest inspection: There are five separate units on our Maidenhead site spread across three buildings: Kennet: Eating Disorders Service, Thames, Juniper and Holly : Psychiatric Intensive Care Units and Tamar: General Adolescent Service. Last January, The Huntercombe Group merged with The Active Care Group, and the Huntercombe Hospital in Maidenhead has changed its name to Taplow Manor. the service is performing well and meeting our expectations. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. "Since moving to another hospital, I realise that how I was treated at Huntercombe was incredibly wrong.". Our sincere condolences go to all those affected.. The regulators report cited concerns that medication was being inappropriately used to manage aggression and distressed behaviour, describing this practice as chemical restraint. We will publish a report when our review is complete. Apply to Huntercombe jobs now hiring in Maidenhead on Indeed.com, the worlds largest job site. Huntercombe Manor - Maidenhead - Parks & Gardens These adverts enable local businesses to get in front of their target audience the local community. PDF Huntercombe Hospital Maidenhead - Active Care Group Inadequate HUNDREDS of people have demanded a mental health hospital to close down after a patient tragically passed away. Her family made a formal complaint to the hospital in April 2020. Those who've agreed for their names and photos to be used form a striking collection of young faces who needed help. Official information from NHS about The Huntercombe Hospital Maidenhead including contact details, directions, opening hours and service/treatment details Where we find issues we have taken, and continue to take, decisive action. It said Amber's care had involved an "over-reliance on physical intervention and medication". 169 0 obj <> endobj xref Some of the former patients we've gathered testimonies from were in these units as recently as February and March this year. And then when the restraint got too much they'd come in, pull your trousers down and IM [injection medication] you.". Huntercombe Group During unprecedented times like these, it is more important than ever that we show our appreciation to the people who continue to care for the young people in our services despite the ongoing pandemic. We use cookies to improve the performance of our website. 6 Huntercombe Hospital Maidenhead, Maidenhead, UK. 0000100094 00000 n Please fill out the form below and our services team will respond quickly and efficiently to your enquiry. "This closure is testament to the strength and tenacity of the children and their families who have suffered in these places.". Taplow Manor was threatened with closure by health watchdog, the Care Quality Commission, last week if it failed to make improvements following a damning report. The secret mine that hid the Nazis' stolen treasure. When the CQC inspected the unit in December 2022 there was a cap on the number of patients it could treat, up to 22, due to care concerns identified in June 2021. She was desperate to get her out not an easy process, since Bonnie had been sectioned. So why were vulnerable patients still sent there by the NHS? Umairah Malik, of eating disorder charity Beat, says: Guidance states [force-feeding] is a last resort, and every other option must be exhausted: this might include a choice of foods or supplements, distraction techniques or extra support.. "Listening to the evidence around Mia's death and how she managed to take her own life within such a supposedly secure unit was disgusting," Tori said. Huntercombe Lane South, Taplow, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 0PQ. 'My skin was so bad I stopped going out': Expert reveals his 3 top skincare tips as women tell how an Kate and William's tribute to Aberfan: Solemn royals pay their respects in poignant visit 57 years after the Ballet princess! If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can Alice Sweeting was in the Maidenhead unit between 2020 and 2021. Sky News can reveal NHS England has paid The Huntercombe Group now Active Care Group - almost 190m since 2015. Danae Rackliff was 15 when she was admitted to the Stafford unit in 2017 for help with an eating disorder. Browser Support Taplow Manor - Care Quality Commission - CQC The service previously operated under the name Huntercombe Hospital Maidenhead, but has since changed management. Email [email protected]. Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in, Investigation: Shocking figures reveal thousands of sexual incidents in the countrys 209 childrens mental health units since 2019. She was discharged after nine months but relapsed and was sent to a different hospital, aged 17, where I had lots of therapy and made a real recovery. More than 50 former Huntercombe patients have spoken to Sky News as part of a joint investigation with The Independent. Active Care Group has been providing complex care for over 30 years. Huntercombe Lane South, Taplow, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 0PQ . Published: 22:44 BST, 2 November 2022 | Updated: 22:44 BST, 2 November 2022. 0000003319 00000 n This service was archived on 5 March 2021, Archived services are ones which are no longer part of a provider's registration with CQC. The Huntercombe Group said it had "learned lessons". Huntercombe (No 12) Limited, In 0000011256 00000 n What it looks like. It said the safety and care of its patients were a top priority and it was working to move patients from the hospital by end of May 2023. If there was as little as one mouthful left, the girl would have a nasogastric tube fitted (which went up the nasal passage, down the throat, and into the stomach) and would be given the equivalent of that same meal all over again. The DHSC was approached, but would not comment specifically on sexual incident allegations. Reacting to news of the hospital closure, her mother Nikki Boughton-Smith told Sky News it was a "really amazing first step in recognising that there's been years of abuse, neglect and wrongdoing". So, I am not even going to try. So stafffed Bonnie twice daily through a nasogastric tube. Danae says staff who were meant to be watching to keep her from harming herself would sometimes fall asleep. 0000003168 00000 n We are committed to providing caring, supportive, recovery-focused treatment to young people with mental health conditions. The physical injuries, the trauma and pain and suffering, and they were children. One ex-member of staff told Femail she chose to leave after a patient died in tragic circumstances in February. ACG Holdco Limited1 Suffolk Way, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN13 1YLCompany Number 11157123,Registered in England and Wales. 0000107855 00000 n It found some rooms were "hot and unpleasant" and some ward spaces were too small to accommodate the number of people being cared for in them. We have already taken steps to make improvements to the service and remain committed to providing the best possible care for our patients. CQC have also told the hospital to make urgent improvements to the way staff carry out observations to keep young people safe. Providing our residents are well enough to attend we have an Ofsted registered school on-site allowing for continued learning. She admits finding it hard to relax, and after our interview she goes for a drive with her father to clear her mind. 0000825441 00000 n Huntercombe Hospital Maidenhead must still improve - BBC News Taplow Manor - Care Quality Commission - CQC At least one standard in this area was not being met when we inspected the service and, Find out more about our inspection reports, searching for the history of care services. I saw children with psychosis have outbursts and staff would just say: I wish shed keep quiet. They said self-harm was attention seeking. There was this huge culture of blaming patients, and very Victorian [views], like [we were] fallen women These girls are mad. And not only that, but it must be your fault, because youre mad, so youre sexually unboundaried. This has hugely impacted staff and ultimately contributed in part to this regrettable decision to close our CAMHs beds which is the worst outcome for patients.. Then, in November 2018, she was sectioned under the mental health act and sent to Kennet, the eating disorders ward at Huntercombe. She wants to see accountability and believes that the more than 50 affected families are "just the tip of the iceberg". . Bonnie became anorexic after beingbullied and the death of her grandmother. "Every single day I was getting bruises all over my body. Huntercombe Hospital - Maidenhead - Care Quality Commission - CQC We want our comments to be a lively and valuable part of our community - a place where readers can debate and engage with the most important local issues. Click here to view our latest report & rating. the service isn't performing as well as it should and we have told the service how it must improve. The petitioner, Ellie Morgan, says she is a 17-year-old patient and claims an unnamed young person in her ward tragically passed away due to staff negligence. 0000001376 00000 n The return of heroin chic is a cynical betrayal of young A problem shared by mother-of-four and GP Clare Bailey: I'm Rest easy! 19/11/2020, 03/12/2020 It is important that we continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging times. Huntercombe Lane South, Taplow, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 0PQ (01628) 667881. Huntercombe Lane South, Yet three years later in 2017 a CQC inspection into all of Huntercombe's children's mental health units highlighted concerns about staffing and observations, and raised questions over the systems to put lessons learned into practice. 'They'd hold you down and you'd be crying screaming'. It led to Huntercombecommissioning an independent review, by Contact Consulting. Ellie Morgan started this petition. Taplow Manor School - Active Care Group 0000022308 00000 n I try to think I did help some of the patients, but I still think I was part of something really bad, and that makes me feel responsible, Steph says. She would drive two hours to visit her, and when she got there her sister appeared "drugged up to the point at times she could hardly communicate". She says it led to her making "an attempt" three or four times a day. Her daughter Mia was 17 years old when she took her own life in March 2017 at Huntercombe's Norwich unit. Amber was restrained to prevent her from self-harming, or to be fed through a nasal tube. It has 59 beds in total, providing eating disorder services, general CAMHS inpatient services, and psychiatric intensive care services. The Active Care Group says it is unable to comment on incidents that occurred before it took over The Huntercombe Group. 0000081167 00000 n The nationwide figures cover almost all of the childrens mental health units in England, but do not cover medium secure services, which are usually for patients with the most acute needs or those who have come through the criminal justice system. I like being here with Active Care Group. She looked like shed been in a fight. And she told us: "The unit wasn't very hygienic there was blood all over the walls.". Staffing across the wards was inconsistent, with the same number of staff allocated to a 20-bed ward as a 10-bed ward. In response to the complaints made in the more than 20 testimonies we have gathered from former patients or their families about the care received at Huntercombe units she said: Two months after the takeover a patient at the Maidenhead unit - now called Taplow Manor - died. HUNDREDS of people have demanded a mental health hospital to close down after a patient tragically passed away. 0000001867 00000 n 7 Langone Medical Center, Child Study Center, New York University, New York, NY, USA. She is one of a large group of teenagers, most of who don't know each other, Sky News has spoken to as part of an investigation with The Independent. Other patients make similarly disturbing claims. One time I saw a female patient attempt suicide. Huntercombe Hospital Maidenhead, in Berkshire, cares for children between the ages of 12 and 18. The following ratings are from our focussed inspections, Huntercombe Hospital - Maidenhead I tried to help patients, but feel I was part of something bad. 0000068388 00000 n Departments and services - The Huntercombe Hospital Maidenhead - NHS I came forward about the sexual abuse I experienced by a Huntercombe staff member in the hope that future patients would be protected. Huntercombe Hospital Maidenhead is located on Huntercombe Lane South to the east of Maidenhead. But 2,382 people have backed a petition on Change.org demanding for the Maidenhead hospital to close down. Amber was 15 when she went into the Maidenhead unit with serious mental health problems. Some of the former patients we've gathered testimonies from were in these units as recently as February and March this year. The Care Quality Commission (CQC) said it was inadequate in February but its operator has changed . Its you thats doing this. And I am like: Youre fighting against flesh.. Taplow Manor is due to be closed next month. Fly the flag in style: JO ELVIN's got red, white and blue Coronation style covered. Alice says: "How can anyone get better if that's the way the hospital treats people? there are some services which we cant rate, while some might be under appeal from the provider. Julie visited Bonnie once a week. Kate changes into 379 jacket from Alexa Chung's Barbour collection as she and Prince A royally BIG portrait! the service is performing well and meeting our expectations. The secret mine that hid the Nazis' stolen treasure. I simply cannot thank everyone enough for being so kind. 0000100735 00000 n During one visit, she found Bonnies face was really swollen. Many abuses have been committed, and continue to be committed, in MH in-patient units across the UK. Click here to view our latest report & rating. trailer <<696EBCE7E3184A3FB78C3D28D8149D8D>]/Prev 1053251/XRefStm 1690>> startxref 0 %%EOF 222 0 obj <>stream 17 February 2021, We often carry out focussed inspections on individual services. Only a few weeks later, however, Julie and husband James felt they had lost their daughter. Police investigating death of young girl at mental health hospital Taplow Manor | CAMHS | Active Care Group The government must learn lessons from its past failings in order to protect patients.. Any other browser may experience partial or no support. Neve was discharged from the hospital, where she was being treated for an eating disorder, but didn't have enough support. Read about our approach to external linking. READ MORE:M4 road closures and diversions affecting Berkshire drivers this weekend, They said: A fullinvestigation into the circumstances leading up to this tragedy has been launched and we will cooperate with any other investigations. It concluded "there was little offered in terms of actual treatment" and described the unit as a "dark space that had an oppressive feel". Her skin was grey. Is climate change killing Australian wine? Maidenhead mental health hospital placed in special measures A scandal-hit childrens mental health hospital will close months after an investigation by The Independent uncovered claims of poor care and systemic abuse. An NHS England spokesperson said: Sexual misconduct, violence, harassment and abuse are criminal acts; all NHS organisations must have robust measures in place to ensure immediate action is taken in any cases reported to them, and this requirement applies equally to independent facilities providing services on behalf of the NHS.. Active Care Group took over the Huntercombe Group Hospitals in 2021. Requires improvement In May of this year, the CQC suspended ratings for the hospital, which was told to make urgent improvements. Under the terms of our contract with the NHS, we are then no longer able to guarantee we have the required resources to deliver CAMHs services. The data lays bare for the first time the horrific scale of sexual incidents reported at Taplow Manor, though concerns have previously been raised in relation to Huntercombe hospitals, which are now run by Active Care Group and were formerly managed by the Huntercombe Group. Bonnies and Julies names have been changed. So it made me want toself-harm in different ways, rather than stop me from self-harming.". Suspended ratings are being reviewed by us and will be published soon. When Julie Fullers 16- year-old daughter was admitted to hospital with anorexia in 2018, she felt a mixture of emotions. Pioneering Care 24/7 Support Award-Winning Service Child and adolescent mental health care services. Anyone feeling emotionally distressed or suicidal can call Samaritans for help on 116 123 in the UK, or email [email protected]. Bonnie refused to tell her mother what had happened. We remain committed to providing the best possible care for our patients., Elli Investments, which owned the Huntercombe Group until 2017, said: We are deeply shocked and saddened to hear of these distressing patient experiences, which failed to meet appropriate standards of care, and it is important that these incidents are fully investigated., Bonnie, however, fervently believes closing the hospital is the only way to prevent other young people suffering. 0000002025 00000 n It has been rated good by Ofsted and is a registered exam centre. The review, shared with Sky News and published in 2021, was highly critical. To imply otherwise is misleading, as reporting incidents is critical in terms of creating a no blame culture and making sure patient safety issues are addressed quickly.. ", An NHS spokesperson said: "All services must provide safe, high-quality care and deliver on the commitments in their contracts. She quickly discovered that the rules said patients had to eat a whole meal within half an hour. They asked lots of questions about Bonnie, and it was a huge relief.. We rate most services according to how safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led they are, using four levels: Outstanding 169 54 Girls would self-harm and there would be blood up the walls from where theyd hit their heads, she recalls. Dr Tang said: "The death of a young person at Taplow Manor in February 2022 was a tragic and sad event. The waiting time for psychology and family therapy was six weeks and there were "too few" specialists employed at the hospital. A month before the report into Amber's care was published we discovered similar criticisms raisedover the care of another patient. Amber Rehman, 18, has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder - contributed to by her time in a hospital in Maidenhead in Berkshire run by The Huntercombe Group. Sky News has now seen multiple independent reviews of patient care corroborating accounts of poor practice, and we've gathered testimonies from more than 20 former patients who were in units run by The Huntercombe Group over a 10-year period. Relatives said they had to call wards several times before staff answered the phone and long waits were recorded for some therapies. The patient herself told us she self-harmed in a way that left the wall covered in blood. Blood on the walls: Huntercombe investigation reveals the shocking I've got a 1 ot 1 each day, and all the staff are really nice and kind. I don't know why they're still running.". It said: Anyone receiving treatment in an inpatient mental health facility should receive safe, high-quality and compassionate care, and be treated with dignity and respect., Rape Crisis offers support for those affected by rape and sexual abuse. Inspectors found areas "not fit for purpose; they found dried blood stains on the walls;and said young people appeared drowsy and sedated". We are carrying out a review of quality at Taplow Manor. Being here has really changed my life for the better. Bonnie stopped communicating and would often walk out during their visits. They were treated worse than animals.". She was monosyllabic. This raises questions about the culture within these settings, that the figures are so high., Have you been affected by this story? 0000068743 00000 n For some of 2021 the CQC was so concerned about the Maidenhead unit it told the hospital it could only admit patients with written permission from the regulator. I remember one lovely female staff member actually crying, saying: I dont know how to help you. . Huntercombe lies on the south-west edge of Slough, towards the south end of Burnham parish. Windsor, Jane's mother took a picture of her daughter's forehead which she says shows the aftermath of her hitting her head. The statement added: Patients have been informed of the decision as have senior members of staff. The Huntercombe Group closed down three of its children's mental health units, but two remain open - the Maidenhead unit in Berkshire where Amber and 'Sally' went, and another in Stafford. "When I used to be restrained people would hold me down for hours and hours. A PSYCHIATRIC hospital in Maidenhead which was declared "unfit for purpose" by the CQC has announced it will be closing. Provided and run by: Active Young People Limited. From company updates to stress relieving tips and mental health management, and even podcasts were always releasing industry leading content. Those ads you do see are predominantly from local businesses promoting local services. "My mum is my full-time carer as I cannot be on my own due to this. Dr Rosena Allin Khan, Labours mental health spokesperson, told The Independent that the government must commit to tackling sexual incidents within inpatient units. 0000003282 00000 n 0000068194 00000 n 0000108229 00000 n One woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, claims she was abused and repeatedly raped as a child by a member of staff at a private CAMHS unit 20 years ago. Of the other private providers, Cygnet Health Care had 704 incidents reported across four hospitals, covering around 200 beds. the service is performing badly and we've taken enforcement action against the provider of the service. This service is regulated by Ofsted. Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player, "When I used to be restrained people would hold me down for hours and hours. In May 2020, Bonnie was diagnosed with PTSD by a child psychologist, and in January 2021 the independent review found there were 172 incidences of the use of restraint for feeding her. A single childrens mental health hospital with just 59 beds reported more than 1,600 sexual safety incidents in four years, shocking NHS figures reveal. The Care Quality Commission (CQC) has rated Taplow Manor, which was formerly known as Huntercombe Hospital Maidenhead, as requires improvement following an inspection in June. The incident led to an outcry from former patients who started a petition to seek the hospitals closure. 0000080763 00000 n We have a dedicated team ready to assist you with whatever you need. Huntercombe Hospital - Maidenhead is a specialist child and adolescent mental health inpatient service (CAMHS). She says: If Id had proper care and compassion, I dont think I would have felt so helpless. 0000068937 00000 n 0000003701 00000 n Over a four-month period 'Sally' - who wants to remain anonymous - was restrained more than 200 times, and again an urgent audit was called for over the use of restraint. Active Care Group said there are currently no plans by the NHS to pause admissions or by itself close Ivetsey Bank hospital. 2 Academic Unit of Psychology, Developmental Brain-Behaviour Laboratory, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK; Huntercombe Hospital Maidenhead, Maidenhead, UK. Huntercombe Hospital - Maidenhead provides specialist child and adolescent mental health inpatient service (CAMHS), including psychiatric intensive care for young people. Patients told us blood on the walls after episodes of head-banging wasn't cleaned up properly, which they found to be "triggering". Its Mental Health Awareness week from 915 May(mentalhealth.org.uk/campaigns/mentalhealth-awareness-week)and we talk to Louise Makin, Head of Internal Communications & Engagement to, Undiagnosed Emerging Personality Disorder (UEPD). We don't rate every type of service. Four years on, she remains visibly distressed by her experience. No one's gonna get better in that environment. I'd fall asleep sometimes. For services we haven't rated we use ticks and crosses to show whether we've asked them to take further action or taken enforcement action against them. Why not be the first? The hospital, based in Huntercombe Lane South, treats children and young people aged 12 to 18 who have been detained under the mental health act, who have eating disorders and who have other mental health conditions. Bonnie says she spent the first few days terrified and curled up in a ball on her bed. The move comes after an investigation by The Independent and Sky News heard from more than 50 patients who alleged systemic abuse by the provider, while Taplow Manor is facing two police probes one into a patient death and a second into the alleged rape of a child involving staff. Aged 14, she was taken out of school and referred to childrens mental health services (CAMHS). Your information helps us decide when, where and what to inspect. Kate nails sporty chic in 600 Mountain Equipment jacket, 110 jeans and 175 walking Slice of pep-heir-oni? Situated in Maidenhead, we specialise in supporting young people with severe or complex mental health conditions who need intensive inpatient treatment. In a statement to The Independent: Thames Valley Police, said: "Thames. 0000107933 00000 n 0000069040 00000 n Huntercombe Hospital in Maidenhead was responsible for more than half of the sex-related investigations reported in the 209 childrens mental health units across the country. Facilities - The Huntercombe Hospital Maidenhead - NHS I was screaming and pressing the alarm but it took for ever for help to arrive. I saw a child kneeing herself in the face. My mum once watched in horror as four male members of staff pinned me to the ground just so they could give me drugs.. Danielle Middleton was an inpatient at Maidenhead at the same time, between 2014 and 2016. Practitioner Review: Current best practice in the use of parent They really help me and since I've been here I've made lots of new friends, and started doing new things like acting which I really enjoy. Sometimes it would be painful and they wouldn't listen.". When we spoke with Amber, her mother Nikki went upstairs. Youngsters told inspectors they did not feel safe at the Maidenhead unit and felt it should be shut down.

Nashauna Johnson Car Accident, Victoria Secret Vanilla Lace Discontinued, Articles H